Thursday, June 23, 2011

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

...is one of those books that I continuously passed by in the bookstore. I thought the title was fancy and I liked the cover, but I was not sure if I wanted to read something that had to do with water and elephants. I marked it as "to-read" on my goodreads page and went about reading "safe" books or in other words, books I knew I would like. Well, when I heard the movie was being released, I tried to rush and read it, but life got in the way. The summer months have allowed me to flip, well tap the screen on my nookcolor, through the fantastic pages of this novel. The story is heartbreaking, funny, refreshing, jubilant, poetic, colorful, etc., etc. The story begins with Jacob Jankowski losing his parents in a terrible automobile accident. He is left a penniless student with no living relatives. He stumbles or should I say dives head first into a circus, the Benzini Brothers Circus in the summer of 1931 and the story flows fantastically up to the very last word.

I did not expect to enjoy this book as much as I did. It was something new for me. I am so glad I decided to buy this book. I have to admit I rushed to start reading because I pride myself on reading books before the movie version is released, but I missed the train on this one. I highly recommend this book to all readers. I enjoyed learning about the other side of the circus. As a person who is terrified of animals, it was interesting to read about the behavior and treatment of the circus animals...from a safe distance.

Now I can finally watch the movie!!

♥♥♥♥♥ Love It!

1 comment:

Komal Mansoor said...

I love ur candid style of reviewing! Keep it up!:)